April 30, 2014
Calling for all winning STEM competition entries! (First through Third Place)
The Strategic Air & Space Museum understands STEM-related ideas have the potential to change the world, such as in the case of Jack Andraka. We want to encourage and recognize others in our state and region for thinking big and daring to make an impact not only in our community but possibly society as a whole. Jack Andraka isn’t the only young Einstein out there with a dream and the desire to discover and create. The Strategic Air & Space Museum invites you to join us as we celebrate brilliance, recognizing the best of the best within our state and region during our Discovery Challenge. We are seeking all qualifying entries (First through Third Place) from any STEM related competitions (Science Fairs, Robotics, Invention Convention, Bridge Building, Rocket Competitions and more) to take part in this competition of champions!
The Discovery Challenge, which will take place on April 30, 2014, brings together STEM champions from across the region to display their projects at the Museum and be judged by a panel of elite STEM based community leaders and instructors. The grand-champion, honored and recognized that evening during our Night of Champions Celebration, and will receive $5,000 cash, with an additional $1,000 going to the student’s teacher. The Discovery Challenge offers more than just bragging rights, it directly impacts how students think and feel about STEM. This is an opportunity to shape each participant’s path, to ignite an interest and passion that will impact their future academic and career paths. After all, students who are exposed to and skilled in STEM topics will see a brighter future based on the following statistics:
- Over the past decade, growth in STEM jobs was three times faster than other jobs.
- 15 of the 20 fastest growing occupations projected for 2014 will require significant STEM preparation.
- STEM professionals have more job opportunities and earn 26 percent more than other workers.
We will award special prizes and recognition within each division.
- Kindergarten through Third Grade
- Fourth through Sixth Grade
- Seventh & Eighth Grade
- Ninth through Twelfth Grade
The Discovery Challenge will be judged in a vigorous process by two separate groups.
- Round One: The Strategic Air & Space Museum will screen all entries for compliance.
- Round Two: The top entries will be judged by a panel of experts in science, engineering and academia. The panel of judges will evaluate and rank the entries according to the criteria, and based on the ranking will select the top three from each division as well as the overall grand-champion. All decisions of the judges are final.
- 12:00-1:30pm Set up exhibits in Hangar B
- 2:00-5:00pm Judging
- 6:00pm Cocktail hour
- 7:00pm Dinner served by Catering Creations
- 7:30pm Presentation of awards
- 9:00pm Event concludes
KETV – Channel 7 Omaha is our Media Sponsor for this event and will be our emcee for the awards ceremony.
Download your application today! Deadline for receiving applications is April 15, 2014
Complete the form below to purchase your tickets to attend the Night of Champions Celebration.